Can't get past
I have sccm setup in a test VMware lab and each time I run a TS for OSD, stops it. I was able to do this successfully in another lab, but my setup in this one is a little different: - SCCM R2 Server with unknown computer -DB server that hosts the SCCM server database - 3 AD servers on different subnets I have eliminated the possiblity of a network problem as the pxe client is seeing the sccm server I have checked the smspxe logs and I see the No Advertisement found in Db for device error. I have unknown computers enabled and advertise my TS to it. And I check the collection and see the TS advertised I'm using a computer that is not in the SCCM DB. I have checked using a test collection and added the MAC as direct member. Nothing appears. I have un-installed and re-installed WDS and PSP. I have added the machine using import computer using the machine's MAC and ran an advertisement against. Still got the The funny thing is that I did this in another lab without issue. What am I missing?
October 28th, 2010 8:51pm

Might be a stupid question, but did you remember to check of "make this tasksequence available to boot media and PXE" on the TS??? And does it work if you prestage the machine to another collection with the TS advertised?? Michael
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 29th, 2010 2:40am

Hi, Had the same onces with a TS that I imported from a test environment. The problem was that it was using the wrong boot image. Right-click the TS and click properties to choose the right boot image. Hope this helps.Follow me through my blog and Twitter!
October 29th, 2010 2:44am

I've tried both boot images for the deployment. This is a x64 virutal machine that I'm working with.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 29th, 2010 10:28am

I do have that checked in my TS. I also did the computer import to another collection to test via a MAC address. Still the same result.
October 29th, 2010 10:31am

Assuming you can pxe boot other systems in the same location that are "unknown" or fresh out of the box: Create query to pull all known MAC addresses along with computer name Enter MAC address into the search function for that query to see result From the result of the query, delete the appropriate computer object (look in main collection that holds all systems, may have to refresh and update collection to see the machine) Restart the Windows Deployment Server Service (obviously make sure no other deployments are happening when you do this)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 29th, 2010 2:16pm

The machine that I'm refering to is a fresh virutal machine (VMWare client for a test lab) that has not been discovered by the console. I have created a test collection and used the machine's mac address information for direct membership. No results are returned from the query. This is all created in a VMware virutal lab. I have uninstalled and re-installed wds and pxe. I have also re-installed SCCM. I have deployed OSs sucessfully in another lab and the setting are all the same. I feel that there is something that I missed, yet everyting that I have tried leads me to the same result. The only big differnce is that the SCCM database is hosted on another server.
October 29th, 2010 3:24pm

So I'm curious if a physical machine on the same network segment has the same issue? You do have IP Helpers on your switches right, and DHCP configured with the right options?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 29th, 2010 3:49pm

Whatking of error log you get during the startup with abortpxe? Have you take a look at the site system's log? I have often a similar situations with virtual clients, and I need to clear pxe, so it erases the MAC adress history.
October 31st, 2010 1:10pm

This is all a viutal lab environment. The switch is virtual and is being routed by RRAS. When I pxe boot, it sees the server, but continues to abort. I did configure the DHCP options 67 and 60, but still no luck.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 1st, 2010 1:25pm

Not seeing any errors that stands out. In the smspxe.log, I see "No Advertisement found in Db for device". Even if I clear the pxe advertisement, I still get the same results. Coming close to rebuilding the server as most solutions have been tried.
November 1st, 2010 1:31pm

Think I might have found the solution. The client VMs were generating the same GUIDs but different MACs. In the pxe logs it showed: MAC=00:50:56:15:0A:90 SMBIOS GUID=5AF33642-B6F8-BB78-AFE9-78BD53860B30 > Device found in the database. MacCount=0 GuidCount=1 The GUID was in the database, but not the MAC. That is why I couldn't search for the offending duplicate client. SCCM would think that it already advertised the TS. I created a new VM that had a different GUID and the TS worked. In other words, SCCM was fine, but the VMs not. Still testing. Thanks for all of the help to all.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 1st, 2010 4:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics