As I can see, this issue is repeated in some cases.
I opened a support case and MS support helped me fixing this issue.
I haven't seen this issue again with the latest version of DPM (keep
fingers crossed ;)
I fixed this issue a lot of time ago and there is only a few details.
You can use that solution at your own risk.
Regarding the drive letter in the xml file:
DPM uses the drive with the most free space
at the time the agent was installed, but does not ever change it after that.
The workaround below is broken into two part. Part A has workaround for making the newer BMR backups recoverable. The part B would make even the older BMR backups as recoverable.
Please create a backup about the DPMDB first!
On the DPM server, open an elevated command prompt window, type cd <system drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin, and then type
DPMBackup.exe -db and press ENTER.
Then follow these steps:
-- 1. Run the below SQL query on the DPMDB database for the particular Protection Server with Server Name (e.g. below whms0135) and get the Physical Replica Id and DatasourceId.
Select D.PhysicalReplicaId, A.DataSourceId,
C.DatasourceSequenceNumber, A.ProtectedGroupId, A.DataSourceName,
from dbo.tbl_IM_DataSource A
join tbl_AM_Server B
join tbl_PRM_DatasourceConfigInfo C
join tbl_PRM_LogicalReplica D
-- 2. Open a Command window as Administrator and run the below command and get the volume drive letter based directory. For e.g. if the directory
-- contains D-Vol then note down the "D" drive. There should be only Drive letter based directory present. If there are
-- multiple then see which one has WindowsImageBackup folder underneath and note that drive letter and remove other directories. Only
-- one of them should be having WindowsImageBackup folder underneath. In case of doubt please contact PG before proceeding.
dir "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\Non Vss Datasource Writer\vol_<PhysicalReplicaId>\<DatasourceId>\Full"
-- 3. Use that Drive letter noted above and put into the PSDatasourceConfig.xml on the corresponding PS Server under FilesToProtect node for System
Protection. Make sure the volume with the drive letter exists.
-- 4. Restart the DPMRA service
-- 5. Take an adhoc BMR backup.
-- 6. Try recovery from the latest BMR backup which should succeed.
-- B. For making the older BMR backup (which were failing during BMR recovery)to be also recoverable
-- 1. Run the following SQL query after substituting the values for DatasourceId
-- and the drive letter as fetched above in the step A.1.
from dbo.tbl_RM_RecoverableObject A
join dbo.tbl_RM_RecoverableObjectFileSpec B
join dbo.tbl_RM_RecoverySource C
= 1 and
from dbo.tbl_PRM_LogicalReplica A
join dbo.tbl_RM_ReplicaDataset B
-- 2. Restart the DPM UI and try out the BMR recovery from the older BMR backup that was not working and it should work now.